Museums, Parks, and Historical Places
City of Hermann Caboose Museum
East First & Gutenberg Streets
Exterior renovation completed in 2019 and interior in 2020. Visitors will see interactive displays and exhibits telling the story of railroad history in Missouri and how railroads led to the westward expansion of the United States. A special exhibit commemorates The Great Railroad Bridge Collapse of 1855.
101 West Second Street
Through guided tours of historic houses, visitors can experience the daily life and traditions of German immigrants to Missouri in the mid-19th century. Visitors can also learn about the founding of Hermann, the German immigrants as abolitionists, and the wine industry in Hermann. The visitor center, built in the 1890s for Julius Hundhausen, a local retired vintner, offers exhibits and a gift shop.
The Pommer-Gentner House is a substantial brick German Neoclassical home built for Caroline Pommer in 1840. While in Philadelphia, Charles Pommer and his sons were makers of fine violins and pianos as well as early supporters of the German Settlement Society of Philadelphia, the group that settled Hermann. Two original Pommer pianos are on display in the workshop. The garden of the house is a living example of a German kitchen garden, with samples in ample supply in season.
The Strehly House, a more modest structure built in the 1840s, was owned and lived in by the same family for more than 100 years, and it retains its original appearance and functions. Visitors will see the publication site of the first German newspaper west of the Mississippi. The print shop houses a working Washington Press from the era.
119 East First Street
Dedicated on July 18, 1898, the Gasconade County Courthouse is thought to be one of the few courthouses in the United States built entirely with private funds. Hermann businessman, Charles Eitzen, willed $50,000 to Gasconade County for construction and furnishing of a new courthouse. A statue of Eitzen is on display on the front lawn. Also on display on the grounds is the cannon used to defend Hermann in 1864 during the Civil War. Interior murals by area artists depicting the history of Gasconade County were added as part of a centennial celebration in 1998. Open to the public during normal business hours.
315 Schiller Street
The Archives & Records Center is a one-stop facility for genealogical and general history research about Hermann and Gasconade County. The facility also carries many books related to local and Missouri history for sale. A statue of George Bayer, agent for the German Settlement Society of Philadelphia, is on display in the courtyard.
Hermann City Parks
For information about park reservations, call the city office at 573-486-5400.
Upper City Park
Washington Street between West Ninth and West Eleventh Streets
The upper city park is home to the historic Rotunda building. An octagonal brick building, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, the Rotunda was built in 1864 by the Gasconade County Agricultural Association. The building was used as an exhibition hall for agricultural fairs and other community events. Its octagonal shape was traditional for barns in northern Germany but quite unusual for an exhibition hall.
Used in later years for dances, picnics, and musical shows, the Rotunda was restored in 2005 and is currently used for weddings, receptions, and other special events. The upper city park is also home to a bust of Hermann businessman and philanthropist, Charles Eitzen, and the Bandstand, a reminder of Hermann’s musical heritage. Originally built in 1864 and rebuilt in the 1880s, the Bandstand was a common venue for musical entertainment. The most recent bandstand structure was completed in 2020.
A large picnic shelter with a stage is also part of the upper city park.
Lower Level City Park
Accessible from Mozart Street and Highway 100 at Gasconade Street
Lower level park facilities include a swimming pool, camping and RV sites, restrooms and showers, picnic shelters, tennis courts, basketball court, ball fields, and playground equipment.
George Johnson Park
Schiller Street at Wharf Street
A tiny, shaded pocket park with a picnic table and shelter, in memory of a Hermann resident.
Gerald Engemann Park & Hermann River Memorial
Market Street at First Street
A garden memorial to a Hermann area resident and a replica of a steamboat wheelhouse with photos and steamboat history.
Market Street between First and Second Streets
Statue of Hermann/Arminius, the namesake of the City of Hermann. Garden and walking paths.
Between the railroad tracks and the Missouri River, enter from Wharf Street
Picnic tables and picnic shelter, public restrooms, a steamboat history marker, Lewis & Clark marker, and a boat landing.
Gutenberg between Second and Third Streets
Shade & sun, swings, park bench, and a basketball court.
Veterans Memorial Park
Market Street between Second and Third Streets
Memorial wall honoring Hermann World War II veterans, memorial bricks plaza honoring veterans from all branches of service, and green space.
526 East First Street
Hermann Farm celebrates the importance of the German settlement to the development of agriculture in the Missouri River Valley region and showcases the home and business establishment of George Husmann, one of the most prominent vintners in the development of the wine industry in America. Attractions include the Husmann house, the Schuetzenhalle, a tradesmen barn, the master distiller’s homestead & office, the mercantile, and the trading post. Visitors will see animals such as Barred Plymouth Rock and Wyandotte chickens and several “gentle giant” English Shire horses. One highlight for visitors may be to meet Pat and Jane, a perfectly matched pair of Missouri mules, beloved by the Hermann community and regulars in parades and celebrations for many years.
Hermann Fire Company Museum
214 East Second Street
573-486-2148 Bruce Cox, Curator
In 1971, when Hermann Fire Company’s station #2 was dedicated, volunteers salvaged and restored old fire equipment that had been stored in sheds throughout Hermann. This fine old equipment, among the oldest in the state, includes the hand pumpers Consequence (built in Hermann by a local blacksmith) and Washington and the Company’s first motorized vehicle, a 1935 Chevrolet quad truck, with its ladders, hose, pump, and water tank. Uniforms, trumpets and usable drums dating to 1865 are also on display. In addition to the equipment, the department has maintained a set of records of all their meetings since the founding of the Fire Company in 1859 as well as the translations of the German records which were kept until 1939.
312 Schiller Street
The museum is housed in the German School building, which was constructed in 1871 and served as Hermann’s elementary school until 1955. The museum displays a diverse collection that reflects the history and heritage of the Hermann area and tells the story of “why and how” settlers immigrated to Hermann from the 1830s well into the 1900s. The town clock atop the museum has been operating continuously since 1890, and its works can be seen inside the museum.
A private museum of Hermann history, pictures, movies, and other memorabilia. Call for a guided tour.
197 Highway P
Starkenburg/Rhineland, MO 65069
Placed on the National Register of Historic Sites in September of 1982, the Shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows attracts visitors of all denominations. Its history dates to 1847 when the first German settlers arrived on the north side of the Missouri River. They named their new town Rhineland because it reminded them of their homeland on the Rhine River. St. Martin’s Church Museum, Valentine Hall, several grottos, and outdoor Stations of the Cross are also located on the forty-acre property.
1110 Stone Hill Highway
Stone Hill Winery, established in 1847, began as one of the largest wineries in the United States. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Stone Hill welcomes visitors with guided tours of the largest series of vaulted cellars in North America and wine tastings. Group tours for 20 or more are available by advanced reservation.
232 Wharf Street
The 36-room White House Hotel is a privately owned three-story brick building, built-in 1868. Guided lantern tours featuring actors in period costume may be reserved for groups of 15 or more. Open by appointment only.