124 East Second Street
Mayor Robert and Sherron Koerber
Built by Judge Henry August Meyer in 1883 with brick made just east of Hermann, The Koerber-Meyer House is on the National Register of Historic Places. The home has been restored to its original exterior appearance and retains many of its original interior features, including the walnut staircase, flooring, parlor light fixture and plaster ceiling medallions. Upon entering the house, rooms to the left are formal, as evidenced by the crown molding, pocket doors and ceiling medallions. These rooms were lavishly decorated and used for entertaining and receiving visitors. Rooms to the right, as well as the upstairs rooms (not included in the tour), served as the family’s living quarters. Judge Meyer often performed marriage ceremonies in the parlor and sometimes held small receptions for newlyweds in the dining room. A copy of August Meyer and Henriette Vedewald’s marriage certificate, written in German and dated 1875, is on display in the back hall.
From the Welcome Center, go two blocks north on Market Street (Highway 19). Turn right on East Second Street. the Koerber-Meyer Haus will be on your right.